Our low temperature research tackles the most challenging problems in the field of quantum physics. These include intricate properties of fermion superfluids, interfaces in quantum materials, dissipative processes when approaching the absolute zero, and discovery of new types of ordered systems at record low temperatures.
In nanophysics we focus on control of charge, flux, phonons, and microwave irradiation at the ultimate accuracy governed by quantum mechanics. Conversion between these quantities is employed for developing new paradigms and novel sensor applications.
The Brain Research Unit comprises research groups studying human brain functions at the system level. The Unit also develops methods used in brain imaging research.
- January 28, 2014 Mika Sillanpää receives 2.0 million EU funding for quantum physics research. 
- January 28, 2014 PhD Olli-Pentti Saira was awarded for best doctoral dissertation in 2013 by the Aalto School of Science (SCI). The awarding takes place in the annual get together of the Doctoral Programme of SCI on 18 March, 2014. Saira currently works at the Kavli institute of Nanoscience Delft.
- December 31, 2013 Finnish research team reveals how emotions are mapped in the body 
- November 30, 2013 MICROKELVIN EU grant #228464 (from 1 April, 2009, to 30 September, 2013) Final Review Report available from here: You can download the pdf from here. You can download the source file (docx) from here.
- November 18, 2013 Aalto SCI funding available for doctoral studies in the fields of OVLL. The submission is open until December 1, 2013. For more details and guidelines, see the attachments.   
- October 11, 2013 Grigory E. Volovik awarded the 2014 Lars Onsager Prize. The prize is granted by the American Physical Society to recognize outstanding research in theoretical statistical physics including the quantum fluids. 
- September 17, 2013 What happens in your brain while you're learning to use your left hand instead of the right one? Docent of Neurology and head of the CliniMEG group of the O.V. Lounasmaa Laboratory, Nina Forss enlightens the subject in Prisma Studio on channel TV1. Watch the program in Finnish on YLE Areena (available until 17 October, 2013). 
- [NANO/PICO seminar] Quantum Decoherence of Cooper Pairs
Tue, 11 Mar 2014, 13:15 in Nanotalo. Prof. Andrei Zaikin, Institute of Nanotechnology, Karlsruhe Institute of Technology, and I.E.Tamm Department of Theoretical Physics, P.N. Lebedev Physics Insitute, Germany and Russia.
-  “Voiko aivotutkija lukea mieltäsi?”
Tue, 11 Mar 2014, 14:00 in elokuvateatteri Andorra, Eerikinkatu 11, 00100 Helsinki.