Nano theory group is part of the nanoelectronics research in the Low Temperature Laboratory. We have an active collaboration with the experimental Nano, Pico and NEMS groups of the laboratory, but most of our projects are independent of these groups.
Our recent topics of research include
- Thermal effects in electronic nanostructures
- Mesoscopic superconductivity, in particular superconducting proximity effect
- Fluctuations of current and temperature
- Far-from equilibrium effects
- Transport through graphene
- Nanoelectromechanical systems
- Topological matter
- Spin-dependent heat transfer in solids
... And combinations of them
We have an opening for a post-doctoral position, see the announcement here
We are constantly looking for talented people for doctoral student positions. If you are interested, send email to Tero Heikkilä (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Tero Heikkilä's new book The Physics of Nanoelectronics has been published by Oxford University Press. It can be ordered also at Amazon.
- Matti Laakso defended his doctoral thesis Temperature Fluctuations and Heat Transport in Nanoelectronics on the 25th May, 2012.
- Juha Voutilainen defended his doctoral thesis Nanocircuits with superconductivity: nonequilibrium studies on the 18th May, 2012.
- Our Nature paper (together with NEMS and Nano groups) was described by IEEE spectrum journal, in Science Now and Nanowerk and many more.
- Our paper (together with NEMS and Nano groups) on macroscopic quantum tunneling in mechanical systems was featured in Science Now.
- See the press release of our work on the admittance of SNS junctions
- Heikkilä, Tero T. and Sillanpää, Mika A., "Hiukkasten yksinäisyyttä mittaamassa", Arkhimedes , 10-12 (2013).
Kopnin, N.B., Ijäs, M., Harju, A., and Heikkilä, T.T., "High-temperature surface superconductivity in rhombohedral graphite", Physical Review B, 87, 140503 (2013). [DOI]
Heikkilä, T.T., [Book] The Physics of Nanoelectronics - Transport and Fluctuation Phenomena at Low Temperatures [URL]
Buerkle, M.; Viljas, J.K.; Vonlanthen, D.; Mishchenko, A.; Schon, G.; Mayor, M.; Wandlowski, T.; and Pauly, F., "Conduction mechanisms in biphenyl dithiol single-molecule junctions ", Physical Review B, 85 (2012). [DOI]
Burkle, M.; Zotti, L.A.; Viljas, J.K.; Vonlanthen, D.; Mishchenko, A.; Wandlowski, T.; Mayor, M.; Schon and G.; Pauly, F., "Ab initio study of the thermopower of biphenyl-based single-molecule junctions ", Physical Review B, 86 (2012). [DOI]