Our low temperature research tackles the most challenging problems in the field of quantum physics. These include intricate properties of fermion superfluids, interfaces in quantum materials, dissipative processes when approaching the absolute zero, and discovery of new types of ordered systems at record low temperatures.
In nanophysics we focus on control of charge, flux, phonons, and microwave irradiation at the ultimate accuracy governed by quantum mechanics. Conversion between these quantities is employed for developing new paradigms and novel sensor applications.
The Brain Research Unit comprises research groups studying human brain functions at the system level. The Unit also develops methods used in brain imaging research.
Our friend and colleague Professor Nikolai Kopnin passed away on October 20, 2013. You can write your message in the book of condolence here.
- November 30, 2013 MICROKELVIN EU grant #228464 (from 1 April, 2009, to 30 September, 2013) Final Review Report available from here: You can download the pdf from here. You can download the source file (docx) from here.
- November 18, 2013 Aalto SCI funding available for doctoral studies in the fields of OVLL. The submission is open until December 1, 2013. For more details and guidelines, see the attachments.   
- October 11, 2013 Grigory E. Volovik awarded the 2014 Lars Onsager Prize. The prize is granted by the American Physical Society to recognize outstanding research in theoretical statistical physics including the quantum fluids. 
- September 17, 2013 What happens in your brain while you're learning to use your left hand instead of the right one? Docent of Neurology and head of the CliniMEG group of the O.V. Lounasmaa Laboratory, Nina Forss enlightens the subject in Prisma Studio on channel TV1. Watch the program in Finnish on YLE Areena (available until 17 October, 2013). 
- August 13, 2013 Growth of disorder of electrons measured in dual temperature system 
- August 6, 2013 EUR 1.3 million in EU funding to researcher Juha Silvanto for brain research 
- June 24, 2013 Nanohiilitutkimuksen huiput kokoontuvat Otaniemessä 
- June 5, 2013 Prof. Jukka Pekola has been granted Academy Professor position for the years 2014–2018 by the Academy of Finland  
- May 6, 2013 Aalto NeuroImaging provides top infrastructure for brain research 
- [BRAIN seminar] BRU-BECS
Mon, 16 Dec 2013, 14:15 in Nanotalo room 228. Jan Kujala, BRU, O.V. Lounasmaa Laboratory, Aalto University, Finland.